Note: These files are for Vista SPI only. If you haven't installed the SP1 yet, then click here.
Rafael did it again! For those who can't use the custom visual styles in Windows Vista SP1, download and replace these three system files (uxtheme.dll, shsvcs.dll and themeui.dll).
Uxtheme Vista SP1 (32-bit) [link]
Uxtheme Vista SP1 (64-bit) [link]
1. Login as a user with Administrative privileges -or- have Administrative credentials ready (check under the keyboard for a slip of paper).
2. Navigate to %systemroot%System32
3. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
4. Take ownership of the file and close dialogs.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll
6. Right-click uxtheme.dll and click properties.
7. Give yourself (or group) Full Control permissions and close dialogs.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 for themeui.dll and shsvcs.dll.
9. Rename uxtheme.dll to uxtheme.old.
10. Rename themeui.dll to themeui.old.
11. Rename shsvcs.dll to shsvcs.old.
12. Copy patched files into %systemroot%System32
13. Reboot (yes, this is really required)
You can use Take Control or these registry files for taking ownership of system files in Vista. [link]