How to add Media Center to Windows 8 Release Preview news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-574…
Media Center is missing in action from the new Release Preview. So, how do you get it?
You can restore Media Center to Windows 8 for free, at least in the Release Preview.
(Credit: Screenshot by Lance Whitney/CNET)
Microsoft has followed through on its promise to remove Media Center from Windows 8. But you can still install it in the new Release Preview.
Those of you who downloaded yesterday's Windows 8 Release Preview will notice that Media Center is missing from the list of apps on the Start screen and Apps screen. A new Windows FAQ page explains how to grab it for free via the following steps:
1. From the Metro Start screen or Apps screen, hover to the upper right or left corner of the screen until you see the Charms bar.
2. Click on the Search charm at the top of the bar.
3. Enter the term "add features" in the search box. Select the Settings category under the search box and then click the option for "Add features to Windows 8" from the search results.
4. In the Add features to Windows 8 screen, click on the option for "I already have a product key."
5. Enter or paste the following key: MBFBV-W3DP2-2MVKN-PJCQD-KKTF7. After the key is accepted, click Next.
6. Accept the license terms on the next screen and then click Add features.
7. Windows will install Media Center and then reboot your PC.
8. After your PC reboots, you should see the tile for Media Center appear on the Start screen.
9. Click on the tile, and Windows will jump to the Desktop to launch the Media Center that many Windows users know and love.
Media Center is a free option for the Windows 8 Release Preview, but it'll cost you if you want it in the final version of the OS.